in focus kaleidoscope by andy gilmore

in focus kaleidoscope by andy gilmore

Thursday, August 14, 2014

On the " Teacher and Make up Training course"



It was a few years ago, a lovely fall day in my beloved hometown. I had this job interview in  the " M" English institution. My interview was at 5 p.m and I had classes all day at university so I just went to the interview straight from school. I entered the office of the manager and owner of the place, a middle-aged man, tall and slender with gray hair. After usual greetings and introduction I had already came to this understanding that his speaking skills in English are noticeably weak; he spoke with a very bad accent, his choice of words were limited and yet he claimed that he had spent 20 something years in theStates having a job that had something to do with teaching English. On the other hand, I had a fairly good CV, I had previous teaching experience in a well-known institute, an outstanding academic IELTS score and I could communicate in that language way more fluently than he could and the only reason I went to that interview was the fact that I thought I wouldn't have to pass another Teacher Training Course known as the TTC since I had already passed this course somewhere else. He told me my resume was very impressive and he had assessed me as a very capable teacher but yet I have to pass their teacher training course. I replied I've already had this course and I'm not willing to pass it another time. He gave me a sly smile and said, My dear, in our TTC course not only do you learn about teaching English but also you would learn how to be presentable in the class. I guess he realized that I needed further explanation from my surprised expression. He continued, you know what I mean, I will teach you how to wear proper make up since you don't have any right now ( I was already wearing foundation and a burgundy lipstick as I usually did which was apparently labeled as inadequate by him), I will teach you how to dress and wear high heels for a teacher must look professional and pleasant. He then called out a teacher that was passing by his door and flirtatiously asked her to come closer for a moment while telling me, you see "S" here, she is one of our very best teachers here, now don't get me wrong, my wife and daughter are also working here and we have a very friendly environment but all teachers must uphold the dress code.  I looked towards the direction he was pointing to and saw this young woman wearing heavy make up and uncomfortably pointy high heel shoes At this point I had an ambiguous feeling; I was angry and amused at the same time. There I was sitting in front of this manager that barely spoke English as he tossed away my CV  and told me I should put layers of make up on and high heels in order to be a good teacher.I told him I don't think I'm interested in the position anymore. He gave me a "your loss" look and we said goodbye.
I wanted to tell him I really like putting on make up and high heels and dressing up, but for a night out or a party not for being a good teacher. I wanted to yell at him that I believe looking like a professional has nothing to do with having blue and green shades on my eyelids and that all the years he spent in the US has taught him nothing and he will always remain a man from a third world country with a pathetic institution that lacks knowledge and integrity. Of course I didn't tell him anything and anyways I earned a lot more money by teaching English privately with my own set of rules.

1 comment: