in focus kaleidoscope by andy gilmore

in focus kaleidoscope by andy gilmore

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

On being called a Slut



A few days ago I was talking on the phone to my Ex-boyfriend-which is objectionable enough-and things got ugly between us, I said something that upset him, he said something that upset me and so on, then he called me a slut and said he respected me when I turned into a "slut" . Although I'm not sure in what way he has respected me, the fact that he had the nerve to call me a slut baffled and insulted me but most of all made me think about it. After I hung up the phone in a moment of utter anger, I reflected about my past and all I had done that gave him the right to call me that. Yes, it was indeed true that at some point in my life I had made mistakes, mistakes that I still regret, it was true that I was no Saint Mary or anything like that and it was true that I was a flawed human being who learnt some lessons the hard way while living abroad and alone for the first time, but yet it made me feel humiliated and frustrated. I went online and looked up the word slut. In the Urban dictionary's website people had given definitions about that word, some obviously based on their own life experiences. The first one was as follows:
          slut
        a woman with the morals of a man
          by sally May 11, 2003
Now thank you sally for your definition but it more confused me rather than giving me an insight through the word, so if it is a man with the morals of a man, it's just called a man, but a woman with the morals of the man is a slut? Don't get it. Another one of the definitions was:
A derogatory term. 

Refers to a sexually promiscuous person, usually female. 

One who engages in sexual activity with a large number of persons, occasionally simultaneously. 

Also refers to one who engages in sexual activity outside of a long-term relationship within the duration of said relationship. ...
by DJ_nTRANCEr May 01, 2003 

Most of the definitions had nothing to do with me and were not a bit anything like my personality but unfortunately this one did because I was in a long term long distance relationship with my ex boyfriend and I did fall for someone else, but yet I know better than any person what made me make wrongful choices, what led me to behave in certain ways and that no one has since felt more sorrow for my actions than me. I saw different point of views and definitions, there were people who despised the word and also people who fancied it in one way or another but in what ever way you regard this matter, the S word is not used to glorify anybody. Being called "slut" was something I never imagined that would happen to me. I had always been the good girl, even sometimes the prude one and now suddenly I had descended to a slut. Nonetheless right now I am not that furious about this since it made me believe that no matter how you chose to live your life, whatever you wear and what choices you make, there would always be a person who would want to degrade you, bring every step you take under scrutiny and try to renounce them, all you got to do is let them go and do not ponder on why they said that. We as human beings are prone to making mistakes and what matters is the lessons we learn from them, of course we have all done stuff that doesn't make us feel proud of ourselves but no one has the right to castigate us. So to my Ex-boyfriend: I do not miss the abusive relationship I had with you and I am not ashamed of my very dear self!
Leave a comment about your own experience of being called a slut.

No comments:

Post a Comment